Happiness is winning........
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Attitude … and “The Power of One"
Getting the best from yourself and others all starts with one: one thought … one word … one action.
“One” is the first note in orchestrating the personal attitude that shapes and directs your life – and impacts the members of your team. Contrary to the lyrics from a classic rock song, one is not the loneliest number. It’s the most important one!
Your thoughts, words, and actions are like individual notes that work in concert to create the power of one person – YOU – to make a difference. You can harness your “power of one” if you simply:
- Catch one negative thought and turn it into a positive one;
- Think of one thing for which you are grateful at the beginning of each day;
- Say one “Fantastic!” when a friend or team member asks how you are doing;
- Assume the best in one upcoming situation;
- Keep on moving one more time when you experience adversity;
- Help one friend or colleague in a time of need – and take pride in it.
Many people used to feel that one vote in an election couldn’t really make a difference. Well, recent political elections that have been decided by razor thin margins have proven them wrong. A single
act can make a difference … it can create a ripple effect felt many miles and people away. So, ask yourself: What’s one thing I can do today that will make a positive difference in my attitude? Then DO IT!
Repeat that process every day and your life will improve – and so will the lives of the people you lead. Attitudes are truly powerful … and they’re contagious!
- Lee J. Colan